Looking to buy a new lawnmower this season, but don’t want something that will break the bank? We have some good news for you there are such machines that do exist and we have kindly produced a list of our favourite 5.
Before you dive in and buy the first mower featured on this list there are a couple of things you need to weigh up. The first being that the “budget” mowers generally come stripped of the added features found in some of their more expensive counterparts.
We have found that the most common features not found in a budget mower is a lack of engine power and no self-propulsion. You can get away with both of these if you have a lawn that is on the smaller size and not extremely hilly. All of the mowers below do make up for not having a self-propelling system with their light-weight designs.
Table of Contents
The GreenWorks 25022 is a corded electric push mower with a 20-inch cutting deck. This mower is powered by a 12 amp motor and is extremely light, weighing in at 56 pounds. The GreenWorks 25022 has 7 cutting heights between 1 and a half and 3 and three-quarter inches. Due to this mower requiring an electrical connection to operate we recommend it to buyers who have a lawn on the smaller size (anything under half an acre).
If you have owned a gas mower in the past and are now looking to purchase an electric mower, you need not fear. The mowing deck of the GreenWorks 25022 has one of the widest for electric mowers and just under the average size of a gas mower’s which generally come with 21-inch cutting deck. If you are unclear on the benefits of a wider cutting deck, it simply means you will have to make fewer passes to cut your lawn.
I wonderful feature that is now becoming more and more common with many of the newer mowers on the market is the 3 in 1 mulch, catch and discharge system. The mulch option will cause the blades to cut the grass clippings into tiny pieces which will break down in your lawn, acting as a natural fertilizer. The catch option will, of course, let you bag the clippings in the mower’s catch and the discharge option simply shoots your clippings out the side of the mower as you go.
So what were our favorite features of the GreenWorks 25022?
- Don’t fear the lower price, this mower is an exception to “you get what you pay for”. It cuts grass with ease and if you don’t mind managing an extension cable you cannot go wrong.
- Compared to your traditional gas-powered mowers the GreenWorks is extremely quiet and does not sacrifice any mowing ability that you may think it would.
- The simple push to start button comes as a welcoming change to your pull start gas mowers, this things starts first go every time!
Poulan Pro PR450N20S
So onto the PR450N20S, this mower comes with a 125cc Briggs & Stratton engine, which packs a little less power than some of the high-end models but is perfect for a smaller, flat lawn.
This mower discharges clipping whilst mowing and does not have the option to mulch or bag. It is compact in design and extremely manoeuvrable weighing just 42 pounds, so anyone in the family will be able to operate it. The quick adjust lever has 5 cutting positions between 1 and 3.5 inches and the cutting deck is 20 inches wide.
We see the Poulan Pro PR450N20S as an entry mower that is perfect for a small backyard and will deliver an outstanding cut each and every time.
So here is what we like about the Poulan Pro and why it made the list.
- It may not come with all the bells and whistles but the mower does do what a lawn mower is designed to do extremely well for the price tag.
- This mower is made for a small lawn and the compact size and handles that fold away make storage a breeze compared to so of the larger models.
- We like that you can have the Poulan roaring within 5 minutes of delivery. Simply assemble the handles, add oil and gas and the mower is almost guaranteed to start first pull.
Powered by the easy-starting 159cc OHV four stroke engine. The easy-start system automatically sets the choke so there is no need to do so manually, before pulling the cord to start. The 21-inch cutting deck gives you the option of setting a cut height between 1.25 and 3.75 inches.
Unlike some of the cheaper mowers in this class, the Troy-Bilt comes with a 3 in 1 mulch, catch and discharge system. A rake bumper is also fitted to the front of the mowing deck which lifts grass upright, so the TriAction cutting system can make short work it.
Although this lawnmower is not self-propelled it weighs in at only 70 pounds. Making it a perfect mower for a small to medium sized lawn. The Large 11 inch rear wheels make it a suitable mower on all types of terrain with plenty on maneuverability.
Here is what caught our eye when reviewing the Troy-Bilt TB105
- The light-weight build, that did not leave out any features for the price is extremely easy to drive and should not be an issue for any member of the family.
- It should take no longer than 15 minutes to have this mower out of the box and cutting your lawn. It come completely assembled with just the simple assembly of the handles. Add oil and fuel and your on your way to a beautifully cut lawn.
- One thing we have noticed buyers saying is that the mower struggles to start up after being stored for a long period of time. We have recently published a step by step article that covers everything you need to know about end of season storage and maintenance. As long as you follow it, your Troy-Bilt should start next season without any issues.
The Lawn-Boy 17730 is power by the 149cc OHV Kohler engine and comes equipped with what else but the 3 in 1 mulch, catch and discharge system. The high rear wheel design really does make a difference if your property has an uneven lawn.
You are sure to notice the cut quality of the Lawn-Boy if you are upgrading from an older model. The 21 inches mowing deck is adjustable and allows for a cutting height between 1.25 and 3.75 inches.
We have always been impressed with the warranties offered by Lawn-Boy. This model comes with a 2 year no-worry full warranty as well as a 3 year Tru-Start commitment which guarantees the mower will start in 2 or less pulls.
Here are some features unique to the Lawn-Boy that we especially like.
- For anyone over 6ft we guarantee you know the pain and distress that can be caused by a lawnmower that has a low handle. Thankfully that is not the cause for the Lawn-Boy 17730 which comes with an abnormally high handle arrangement.
- This particular model comes CARB compliant for anyone who leaves in the lovely state of California.
- Straight out the box you will notice the mower comes with a bottle of oil, all you need to do is add gas and you will be mowing in a matter of minutes.
This mower comes with the Briggs & Stratton, Silver Series 140cc engine. The cutting deck is 21 inches wide and is adjustable to 6 different cutting heights. The 3 in 1 mulch, catch and discharge system which you expect from a mower made in this era.
The high rear wheels and lightweight design make maneuvering the Craftsman over uneven terrain a breeze. We recommend this mower to anyone with a lawn under half an acre.
Here are some other little things we like about the Craftsman.
- Little to no assembly is required and this mower is ready to start right out of the box. Simply tighten some screws and extend the handle.
- The mower has no choke or throttle which utilizes a simple on or off feature and practically starts first time on a single pull.
- You can get away without the self-propelling system due to how light and maneuverable the Craftsman is.