If you’re looking for a way to combine smoking and grilling, a wood pellet grill is for you. It’s one of the best products you can find on the market if you’re looking to infuse unique smoky flavors on our grilled meat.
However, not all wood pellet grills are the same, and there’s no doubt that some grills are better than the rest.
As the inventor of wood pellet grills, Traeger Grills you would expect them to come out on top. Their grills are reliable and expected to perfectly cook no matter what process you use every single time.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing one of Traeger’s most popular grills – the Traeger Pro Series 22.
The Traeger Pro 780 WiFi Pellet Grill uses technology to help you make the perfect meat every barbecue weekend. As the name implies, it uses innovative technology to provide convenience and accuracy in time and temperature control. On top of that, it offers all the best features Traeger Grills can offer - quality, best flavor, and safety.
- Price 70% 70%
- Features 100% 100%
- Quality 95% 95%
- Total Cooking Area: 780 square inches
- BTU: 36,000 BTUs
- Maximum Temperature: 500 °F
- Hopper Capacity: 18 lbs
- Dimensions: 55 x 49 x 27 inches
- Weight: 146 lbs
1. Large Grilling Space
Traeger Pro Series 22 features an ample grilling space of 572 square inches – 415 square inches for the primary cooking area and 154 square inches for the warming rack. This space is already enough for you to 24 hamburgers, four whole chickens, or five racks of ribs to serve a couple of people.
Since there are two racks provided, you can certainly use the upper rack to grill food that doesn’t require really hot heat. These can be vegetables like corn, asparagus, carrots, and more. Or, you can simply place your cooked grilled meat there, so it stays hot until it’s good to serve.
2. 6-in-1 Versatility
The Traeger Pro Series 22 is a 2-in1 smoker grill combo. But, it can definitely do more than just smoking and grilling.
Like other Traeger Grills, this product is so versatile that you can do up to 6 different cooking styles here. You can smoke, braise, roast, bake, grill, and BBQ with this grill. If you’re a cooking enthusiast, you would no longer need different equipment to accommodate both fast and slow cooking needs.
3. Digital Pro Controller
The product comes with a Digital Pro Controller that makes it very easy to use. This technology allows you to set and forget the grill.
All you need to do is dial in your desired temperature, and the grill should maintain that temperature throughout the whole cooking period. There might be some ups and downs, but rest assured that it will stay within 15 °F of that temperature range.
With this feature, you no longer need to stand in front of the grill to watch over your meat. Instead, you can go around and entertain guests and friends.
4. Porcelain Grill Grates
If you’re going to open the lids, you’ll immediately notice the porcelain-coated grill grates. This is a really good feature as it prevents the meat from sticking on the grills. This makes them very easy to clean after use, which is great for maintenance.
Besides the fact that it makes cleaning easier, you can also expect better heat distribution across your cooking surface. You can expect even heat throughout without having any cold or warm spots that may lead to uneven cooking.
5. 18-pound Hopper Capacity
The Traeger Pro Series 22 also comes with a spacious 18-pound hopper capacity. This allows you to enjoy hours of cooking without any worries that fuel will run out. It’s perfect if you want to do overnight cooking and don’t want the hassle of refilling your tank every time.
6. Natural Flavor
This grill-smoker combo makes use of wood pellets to infuse natural smoky flavors into your meat. It’s perfect for those who want that smokiness on their grilled meat but don’t want the hassle of needing to use charcoal.
What’s even better about this grill is that you’re not using simple wood pellets, but food-grade pellets that are guaranteed safe and free from additives. There are also many flavors available that you can try, like oak, maple, mesquite, cherry, hickory, apple, and pecan.
7. Maximum Heat
The Traeger Pro Series 22 has a maximum heat temperature of 450 °F. Now, this may not be as hot as other grills, but it’s hot enough to give your meat a beautiful sear. Heat temperatures can be set high for fast cooking or set it low for slow cooking.
Whichever you prefer, this grill will be able to cater to what you want
8. Sawhorse-style Stand
Another feature you’ll notice with the Traeger Pro Series 22 is the Sawhorse-style Stand. This doesn’t only give a nice appearance for the grill, but it even ensures excellent stability.
9. Dual Temperature Probes
The product also comes with dual temperature probes that allow you to monitor the temperature of multiple types of meat without the need to open the lid. This way, you don’t disrupt the temperatures inside the grill, which might prolong the cooking time.
10. All-Terrain Wheels
Lastly, the Traeger Pro Series 22 features all-terrain wheels, making it easier for you to move the product around on any terrain. With a weight of 103 pounds, this is a product you can’t transfer from one place to another without requiring any help. But with these wheels, you can simply push the grill easily.
When choosing a good grill, it’s essential to weigh the advantages (pros) and disadvantages (cons). Below, we enumerate the things we liked and didn’t like with the Traeger Pro Series 22.
What We Liked
- Sturdy and solid construction: If there’s one thing you’ll first notice about the Traeger Pro Series 22 is its appearance.There’s no doubt that this is a good-looking grill. With the entire unit built from high-quality steel, it can retain heat well and for long periods. The powder-coating also ensures that the grill maintains its beautiful aesthetics for longer periods.
Everything about this grill just speaks about high-quality, from its lid down to its wheels. The sawhorse-style base also makes the product appear remarkably stable.
- Large cooking area: Traeger Pro Series 22 comes with two cooking areas: a 418 square inches primary cooking area and a 154 square inches warming rack – a total of 572 square inches.If you’re planning to hold a barbecue party for a large number of guests, this is a grill you can definitely use. You can cook up to 24 hamburgers, four whole chickens, or eight rib racks using this grill.
The two cooking areas are perfect for creating two grilling zones. You can sear meat in the lower area directly on the heat, and you can grill vegetables on the upper rack where heat is not direct.
- Stainless steel burner and cooking grates: Aside from the overall construction, the burner and cooking grates are durable as well. On top of that, this material is easier to clean and maintain.
- Versatile: If there’s one impressive thing you can note about the Traeger Pro Series 22, it’s the fact that it’s so versatile. If you’re a cooking enthusiast, you’ll love the fact that you’ll be able to smoke, braise, grill, BBQ, bake, and roast using just one piece of equipment.As a grill-smoker combo, this product allows both slow and low cooking. There is no need for you to buy separate equipment for different cooking methods if you already have this at home.
- Porcelain-Coated Grill Grates: The porcelain-coated grilling grates ensure even heat distribution across your grilling surface. Therefore, you can expect that there are no warm or cold spots that can cause uneven cooking.
- Easy Control: The Traeger Pro Series 22 comes with a Digital Pro Controller that makes it easier for you to set desired temperatures. The technology allows you to set and forget, so you can still entertain guests and not just simply stand in front of the grill to ensure that that meat is cooked properly.Besides the controller, the product also comes with two meat probes, making it easier for you to monitor what’s happening inside without opening the lid.
- Long-lasting cooking: This grill has an 18-pound hopper capacity, which allows you to cook longer without worrying about running out of fuel. It also saves you from the hassle of having to keep on refilling the grill when you want to do overnight smoking.
- Uses Patented Wood Pellets: Traeger Pro Series 22 doesn’t use just any hardwood pellets, but it ensures that the pellets are food-grade quality. This means that it’s safe to be infused with meat, and there are no added additives. This also gives the meat a natural smoky flavor, unlike just using a charcoal or gas grill.
What We Didn’t Like
- Uses Electricity: The product uses electricity to burn the hardwood pellets. Although this makes it easier to use and faster to ignite, you will not be able to use the grill without an electric source.
- Features only two wheels: Although the product comes with high-quality all-terrain wheels, it only comes with two instead of four. So instead of simply pushing it around to change its location, you might need to wheely it instead.
- No WiFi Technology: The digital pro controller is a nice feature, but it would have been better if the product came with WiFi technology, too. Most pellet grills do come with one and what happens is you’ll be able to start and control the temperature of the grill through your smartphone.
- Low Maximum Temperature: Even though it has a maximum temperature of 450 °F, it is still found to be lower compared to other grills.
Traeger Pro Series 22 offers a three-year warranty for any defects in the material and workmanship of the product. However, you need to make sure that the product was maintained well and used according to its intended purpose.
You can read more about the warranty details on the Traeger Grills site. It also comes with the user manual if you buy this grill, so make sure to read it thoroughly.
Ease of Use
Traeger Pro Series 22 is probably one of the easiest to use grills. It’s very easy to start as you only need to plug it in and then switch it on. Temperatures are also very easy to control and maintain through the digital controller, which is great.
Even if it can be used for various cooking methods and techniques, it’s not as confusing as you may think. With some experimentation, you’ll surely get it immediately.
Cleaning and Maintenance
You might feel intimidated when you hear that this grill allows you to do up to six different cooking methods. However, the cleaning process is almost the same as any other grills.
As we mentioned above, the grates are porcelain-coated, which means they are non-stick and effortless to clean. Simply wipe the exterior with a damped washcloth, so it becomes nice-looking again.
Make sure that you clean the grease tray and bucket every after use so that no oil will retain as this can cause a fire. Check the inside of the smoker and the chimney for creosote at least two to three times a year to ensure that your smoker always functions well.
The Traeger Pro Series 22 is indeed a well-built and designed wood pellet grill that does a great job in infusing smoky flavors into your meat. The combination of the features made this grill above the rest of its competitors.
Based on its price, durability, ease of use, and quality, this product is undoubtedly a great investment. If you’re enthusiastic about cooking and would like to try different cooking methods without buying various equipment, this is for you.